Search & Win

Sunday, November 20, 2011

Cheap Party Fun

My trio turned 5 last week and to celebrate we did it Arts & Crafts Style!



With my limited time and budget we only managed to pull together a few craft projects but the favorite by far was the colored rice.

Over the summer I found this idea on my friend's blog Magille and I have been wanting to do it ever since. In my head I make things harder than they are so it sat there as just an idea until this weekend for the girl's party.



How we did it:

1. Purchased HUGE 15 lb bag of rice from BJ's - cost $12
2. Using gallon ziploc bags (hefty bags really) I measured out 4 cups of rice into each.
3. Added food coloring to each bag - the amount depended on what color I wanted and how bright - the more I added the more the color (food coloring cost: $0 - used what I had on hand)
4. Added squirts of hand sanitizer (you could use rubbing alcohol but the hand sanitizer was soooo easy) - it spread the food coloring and dried quick. (cost: $0 - had it on hand)

We didn't get our lines quite straight but you can see how pretty it is poured out of the bag.



Of course you know it's not going to stay that way!

The girls are itching to play but we made them wait till all their party guests arrived.



Took seconds to mix:



And draw a crowd:



Seems like it didn't matter the age of the kids they all wanted to play!

If you're wondering, yes, it did make a mess but it cleaned up really easily - unlike sand which gets everywhere the rice cleans up quick and we can use it all over again when we want a fun activity.

All that for about $10! The other $2 worth of rice I still have to use for cooking :)

No comments:

Post a Comment