Search & Win

Friday, August 5, 2011

Blogging For Books: Desiring God by John Piper (DVD)

I have read a number of books by John Piper and I always enjoy his insights into the Bible so I was very interested to review this DVD. While I often find John Piper's writing style more complex and hard to follow I had no such confusion with the DVD. John Piper's teaching style was very clear and he used a lot of biblical evidence to back up his conclusions.

The overall theme of the book and the DVD is that God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him. John Piper proposes that in each one of us is a God given desire for joy and happiness and the only way to truly achieve either is to find our joy and happiness in Christ. Piper proposes that while the Christian life is full of sacrifices all that we do is to earn reward for ourselves in heaven. He states that this is not selfishness but finding in God what He has for us.

Early on he uses a verse from Psams:

"You make known to me the path of life;
in your presence is fullness of joy;
at your right hand is pleasure forevermore."
Psalm 16:11

God has fullness of joy and pleasures forevermore in store for us in Him and nothing on this earth can compare. Piper points the viewers repeatedly to scripture and to the hope we have in Christ.

I enjoyed watching the videos and learned a tremendous amount. For the most part I watched them on my own but I was able to use parts of his teachings to teach my 11-year-old daughter about finding joy in Christ above all else and I believe that I will continue to use these videos to teach my children and share with friends.

I would definitely recommend these videos to anyone. They are challenging and yet uplifting. I watched them alone and learned a lot but they would also be useful for families and church small groups just so that you would have someone to talk with and discuss what you are learning.

For more information on John Piper and his ministry check out: Desiring God

To order books by Piper or this DVD head HERE on Amazon.

Disclaimer: This DVD was provided to me free of charge by Waterbrook Multnomah's Blogging for Books program. All reviews are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment