Search & Win

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Book Review: Indelible

Interesting Storyline: Not What I Expected

I was very excited to get the opportunity to read Kristen Heitzmann’s Indelible. Because this is actually book 2 I went ahead and ordered Kristen’s first book, Indivisible. Some of the reviews stated it was a little violent but I didn’t find it to be so. There was some violence against animals but I didn’t find it to be done in poor taste and when the book is wrapped up everything makes sense. The writing was dark but so very well written that you wanted to keep reading.

After enjoying the first book I was very ready to read the second. While the main characters are different in book 2 many of the characters from book 1 are in book 2 as well so I highly recommend reading Indivisible first.

Natalie Reeve has a special ability – an eidetic memory for faces and the only way she can get them “out of her head” is to sculpt them which she does amazingly well, so well that she makes a living doing it. Natalie has set up shop in a small town in Colorado right next to door to Trevor MacDaniel and his outdoor survival business. The two characters are introduced when Trevor saves Natalie’s nephew from the jaws of a mountain lion.

From the beginning Trevor is being stalked by an unknown individual who begins to send Trevor disturbing photos. It’s a great set-up for a story yet every time the writing is in the stalker’s point of view the writing is strange and vague. I’m sure this is intentional but I found it to be annoying, confusing and unhelpful in moving the story along.

Other than the stalker’s point of view the story was very well written. The descriptions and characters were great though I wished to see more of Piper and Miles who are my favorite characters in the series.

As the story moves along Trevor and Natalie become closer and want to be together but Trevor feels haunted by his past; a dead brother that he feels is his fault and a spoiled skiing career, but when Natalie’s life is threatened Trevor realizes what he stands to lose.

The ending isn’t what I expected and I was disappointed by that but the writing is so good that it is worth the read. I am giving the book 4 out of 5 stars because the stalker really bugged me all through the book and I just feel that could have been written better and ended better. I also found Trevor's relationship with his business partner Whit and Whit's wife to be odd and confusing and maybe just a little bit disturbing.

If you enjoy character driven stories that have a twinge of suspense this book is for you. This series is full of highly unique characters in interesting situations that will keep you reading well into the night. I know I am certainly looking forward to another installment by Kristen Heitzmann.

To purchase Indivisible go HERE ; to purchase Indelible go HERE

Disclaimer: I received this book from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group's Blogging for Books program. All reviews are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment