This week we've had some really good new meals that we've never had before and they were all very good - some quite surprising in the taste department :) All of our meals were under $10 - one was just $2.50!!
I figured I'd share the recipes so you can see for yourself:
Orange-Chicken Rice Bowl
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into strips ($1.68)
1/4 cup Kraft Asian Toasted Sesame Dressing ($0.50)
1/4 cup orange juice ($0.50)
3 cups frozen stir-fry vegetables ($2.00)
3 cups hot cooked long-grain rice ($0.50)
1/4 cup chopped Planters Cocktail Peanuts (optional - I didn't use these)
Total Cost: $5.18
- Heat large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken, stir-fry 5 to 7 min. or until done
- Stir in dressing and juice. Bring to boil. Add vegetables; cook 5 to 7 min. or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over rice. Sprinkle with nuts.
Weeknight Lasagna Toss (sorry no picture)
1 lb lean ground beef ($1.98)
2 green peppers, chopped (I felt this was too much and used half of one) ($0.50)
3 cloves garlic (again less is fine - use one - I didn't use any)
1 jar (26 oz) spaghetti sauce ($1.50)
1 2/3 cup water
1/4 cup Kraft Zesty Italian Dressing (I didn't use it)
12 oven-ready lasagna noodles, broken into quarters ($1.50)
1 cup Kraft shredded mozzarella cheese ($1.00)
Total Cost: $6.48 (I added Ricotta: $2.29 = $8.77)
- Brown meat in large saucepan; drain.
- Stir in peppers, garlic, spaghetti sauce, water and dressing; bring to boil. Add noodles; stir. Cover.
- Cook on medium-love heat 10 to 15 minutes or until noodles are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Sprinkle with cheese; cover. Let stand 5 min. or until cheese is melted.
Special Extras: Stir in 1/2 cup ricotta cheese into noodle mixture before sprinkling with mozzarella.
Substitute: Substitute 12 regular lasagna noodles, broken into small pieces, for the oven-ready noodles. Increase water to 2 cups and cook 30 min., stirring occasionally.
Mac Chicken Cacciatore
(this was surprisingly good)
1 pkg. Macaroni & Cheese Dinner ($0.45)
1/2 to 1 lb cooked chicken breast, diced ($1.26)
1 can (14 1/2 oz) Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained ($0.69)
1/2 cup chopped green peppers ($0.50)
Total Cost: $2.90 (wow! so cheap and the kids loved it!!)
- Prepare dinner in large saucepan as directed on package.
- Stir in remaining ingredients; cook on low heat 5 min. or until heated through, stirring occasionally.