Search & Win

Monday, January 19, 2009

Feed A Crowd For Less Then $15

This week I have planned some of our (my) favorite recipes so I thought I'd share a few with you and how much I'm spending on my meals to feed a family of 7.

Today: Pizza Joes



I only wish this is what my food looked like :) I got this photo out of the recipe book: Easy Potlucks from Pillsbury along with the recipe. This is the recipe you use if you want to feed a lot of people. We are having friends for dinner and this will feed our 7 and their 6. Seriously it makes a LOT.

Pizza Joes:

2 lbs. lean ground beef ($1.98/pound = $3.96)
2 medium onions, chopped (about 1 cup) - (I used one large onion = $.23)
1/2 cup chopped green pepper (I used half a large - $.65)
2 jars pizza sauce ($1.39 each - $2.78 - these weren't on sale this week)
1 package (3.5 oz) sliced pepperoni, chopped ($1.19)
1 teaspoon dried basil ($.20)
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano ($.15)
Pack of sandwich buns - I love potato best ($1.99)
2 cups (2 oz) shredded mozzarella cheese ($.92)

Total for Main Course: $12.07

1. In 12-inch skillet, cook ground beef and onions over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain.

2. Spray 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Spoon beef mixture into slow cooker. Stir in bell pepper, pizza sauce, pepperoni, basil and oregano.

3. Cover, cook on Low setting 4 to 6 hours.

4. To assemble sandwiches, spoon about 1/3 cup beef mixture onto bottom halves of buns. Top each with scant 2 tablespoons cheese (I tend to use more cheese then recommended). Cover with top halves of buns. (This step seems pretty self-explanatory but it's in there so I thought I'd share!)

Also Serving Corn: $.67/can X 2 = $1.34

And we'll have a side of chips (very healthy) but the guests are bringing those. This could be even cheaper with pizza sauce on sale - usually $1.00 and cheaper buns but sometimes you just gotta splurge!!

I promise Ebay is coming but so much keeps coming up :)

No comments:

Post a Comment