Search & Win

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

How to Save $$$ at CVS

At first glance CVS is an overpriced drug store. But thanks to their Extra Care Bucks Program, there are some fantastic deals.

The first thing you need to do is sign up for a CVS card. I recommend doing this online at CVS.com. If you do this, you should also be given a great coupon to use during your next visit.

The next important step is to have a copy of the weekly sales ad. You will also do best if you have the weekly coupons from your newspaper.

An Extra Care Buck (ECB) is just a fancy term for store credit. Each week there are certain items that you can buy that will award you with ECBs. You can use your ECBs on anything in the store.

The best scenario is when you can use a manufacturer's coupon for an item that also is on sale and awards an ECB.

First Example:

This week Fructise shampoo, conditioner and stying products are on sale.
They are $2.99 BUT you get $2 ECB back.
There is also a $1 coupon in last Sunday's paper.
So, if you use your coupon, you will pay $1.99 for the shampoo BUT get $2 store credit back. Not so bad.

Second Example:

This week Colgate Total is on sale 2/$5 but you also get $2 ECB back. There is also a $1 coupon in last Sunday's paper.
So, if you use your coupon, you will pay 2/$4 but you also get $2 ECB back. In essence, you are paying $1/tube of toothpaste.

I know that it sounds very confusing at first. But, I promise that the more you do it, the easier it gets.

You can also save a lot of money by going into the store and earning several ECB and then going back and using those same ECB on different promotions. I have found that the best deals to be found are usually on toiletry items, such as toothpaste, body wash, shampoo, etc. Occasionally I find good deals on cleaning and sundry items.

Get out there and give it a try. You won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. First of all, love the new blog. I am looking forward to reading what you post. I love CVS. I think I make money buy shopping there. I bought 5 boxes of cereal one time for .07 on time. I felt like I was really something handing that guy seven pennies!!

    ReplyDelete