Search & Win

Monday, January 5, 2009

Introduction

I was absolutely thrilled when Dorinda asked me to co-author a blog with her. Over the past year my husband and I have done a major overhaul with our finances. We've been convicted of the importance of living within our means and of the importance of being debt free. As a result, I've become quite the thrifty mama and I'm happy to have a place to share all of my thrifty tips.

Dorinda and I met on the internet shortly after our triplets were born. We learned very quickly that we had a lot in common. Not only did we live less than an hour away from each other but we had delivered our triplets only 3 days apart. The list of commonalities could go on an on. When our babies were just weeks old we would email each other long letters. I vividly remember sitting at my dining room table trying to pump milk for my babies and type to Dorinda at the same time. We became fast friends and have enjoyed sharing the joys (and struggles) of raising higher order multiples.

Dorinda and I love to write. We both also enjoy stretching our families' dollars as far as we can. It only seems appropriate that we come together to share this blog.

As I mentioned before, I believe very strongly in living within your means. What exactly does that mean?

It means living on a budget.
It means purchasing only what you can afford.
It means building a savings.
It means having no debts.
It means not keeping up with the Jones'.

To put it even simpler, it means that your monthly income should be greater what your monthly expenses are. Every dollar that you earn should be accounted for.

I challenge you to track your spending for 30 days. You will be amazed. You will be astonished. I promise. Do you know where your money goes?

We use a fantastic budgeting software that I highly recommend. You can read more about it here. Using this software has dramatically changed how we manage our finances.

I look forward to hearing what you may have learned from tracking your spending habits.

In the meantime, you can look forward to some great money saving tips from a tightwad with triplets. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey, what a great idea! Though my triplet sibs are now 20, we as a family are quite "tightwad"ish. Looking forward to hearing your tips and possibly contributing some of our own!

    ReplyDelete